Saturday, July 12, 2008

Smells like Weird Al's Best Cheerleaders

foto by David Snider
A few years back RavenMustang and I performed as Goth Cheerleaders for the Weird Al Show. Although I've been a cheerleader for their "Smells like Nirvana" number on two occasions, I never got to see the show. I finally had the chance on July 12th and I was blown away not only by the parodies, but by the band, and the original homage songs they do. (Click on the pic for the tour schedule this summer.) On July 12th, Weird Al and the band, did a show/interview at XM Satellite radio. He played a great original called, "Close But no Cigar" During the question and answer period, I went up to the mic and asked if the song was inspired by Monica Lewinsky. Ba dumb pump! Then I asked my real question; How do they avoid being sued when they do a parody song? Apparently he always asks the Artist for permission. It probably doesn't hurt that Weird Al has been on the same label with a lot of the Artists he parodies. I suppose I should have asked some of the artists before I did my parodies... Nah! I'd love to be sued by Britney or the Pussycat Dolls. ;-)

No comments: